How to Pack in a Hurry (5 Tips to Move in a Week or Less)
In a perfect world, we’d all have ample time to plan and organize a move, but things don’t always work out that way. Maybe you need to relocate quickly for a new job. Maybe you found a new home much faster than you thought you would. Whatever the cause, many people have found themselves in a situation where they had to move in a hurry, and as Minneapolis’ trusted moving experts, we can help.
Here are our tips for packing to move in a hurry.
- Start With Logistical DetailsFigure out how you’ll be moving all your things — professional movers, renting a truck, or borrowing a friend’s pickup truck — and get that squared away first. The last of those three options is the least recommended since relying on a friend to loan you a vehicle often proves unreliable and also takes many additional trips. If you can afford movers, that is by far the fastest and most efficient method.
Other details to make sure you take care of:
• File a change of address form
• Call your utilities companies
• Call your bank and credit card companies
- Get All Your Supplies
No matter how short you are on time, you’ll need plenty of boxes and moving supplies. Make sure you get enough supplies so that you can just roll up your sleeves and dive in. If you need to keep stopping to make supply runs you’ll be wasting precious time.• Boxes
• Tape and dispenser
• Packing paper/bubble wrap
If you don’t have time to round up enough boxes by asking at locations where you can score free boxes (and you probably don’t), you can buy or rent them.
- Ask for Help
As they say, many hands make light work. Ask friends or family to help out in whatever way they can, whether it’s packing things, hauling things, taking donations for drop off, or organizing things. Any way you can save yourself some time you should take advantage of.• Enlist volunteers (friends & family)
• Hire professional movers
• Hire professional cleaners
- Lighten Your Load
The fewer things you have, the less you have to pack! Moving is a great time to purge your home of anything you no longer need or want. Those golf clubs in the basement you haven’t touched in five years? Sell or donate them! The clothes in the back of your closet you haven’t worn in a year or more? Time to say goodbye.For moves where you have the luxury of time you would take an inventory of your home and then sort things you no longer need into “throw,” “donate,” and “sell” piles. However, if you’re trying to move in a hurry you can do this step as you go.
- Pack Quickly — but Efficiently
Believe it or not, it is possible to still be efficient while packing in a hurry. Don’t fall into the trap of just grabbing whatever is nearby and cramming it in a box. You will essentially follow the same guidelines for packing, just a bit sped up!• Use all the moving hacks and tips you can to save time and space; the more efficient you can be the better
• Do NOT skip labeling boxes just because you’re in a rush — it only takes a second and will help so much on the other end of your move
• Start with the kitchen because it typically takes the longest, but make sure you leave out essentials such as your coffee maker
If you are seriously strapped on time and don’t think you can handle it yourself, some professional moving companies will also pack your items for an additional fee.
If you need help with any part of your move, whether you need to move in a hurry or not, AAA Movers can help! Get a free quote or talk to a moving specialist today.