Your Checklist for Moving a Business to Another State
Relocating your business is both a daunting and exciting challenge. Perhaps you’re moving your office to expand square footage or position your restaurant or retail space closer to target customers. But moving a business to another state can be tricky, with plenty of logistics to keep track of, among other things.
Whatever the reason, AAA Movers is here to lend a hand! We’ve helped many businesses streamline their moves so they spend more time running the company from a new location and less time dealing with the hassle of unpacked boxes and furniture stuck in storage.
Taking Care of Business (In an Organized Way)
There are a lot of moving pieces involved in business relocation. Here are some quick commercial tips on moving your business forward and staying organized.
- Let your current customers know that you’re moving. Use flyers, emails, website updates, social media, and word-of-mouth to communicate the change clearly and often.
- Make a thorough employee relocation plan. Do your employees need help moving to a new state? We can help with that!
- Go through the proper licensing procedures and updates.
- Cancel any local business permits and licenses before you move, and apply to ones in your new state before you get there.
- Inform the IRS about your upcoming move. To avoid any complications or confusion, you want the correct address associated with your Federal Tax ID number.
Note: different states tend to have their own rules and regulations. Thoroughly research where you’re going so you don’t run into any unforeseen roadblocks.
- Assign a Moving POC. Choose someone on your team willing to lead the business relocation. Give this individual or team the time/date of the move, budget, and any information (i.e., new landlord info, internet and utility providers, office furniture you’re keeping/replacing, etc.) that they’ll need to coordinate the details on your behalf.
- Hire a trustworthy commercial moving company to transport your business assets safely and set you up in your new location. Talk to your moving specialist about any larger items you’ll need to move (i.e., furniture or technological devices). We also have a nationwide network of secure storage solutions if you need to store certain items for a while.
- Hire professional packers. At AAA Movers, our packing team can help wrap, package, and store your office equipment without disrupting your business operations. We’ve had years of experience moving all types of businesses across state lines and understand how time-consuming the process can be when you go at it alone.
- Update your business insurance, so you’re covered if anything happens during the move. Luckily, our team works diligently to organize your items and package them with care, so your move goes faster and you’re still able to focus on your business.
- Create a layout of your new location so Moving Day goes smoothly.
- Pack essential business documents securely and keep them with you during the move.
Now is also a great time to scan documents, so you have a digital copy and a physical one.
- Update your new business’s information across your website, social media, print media, and Google Business Profile so new customers know where and when to find you!
Contact AAA Movers
Though you can choose to have your POC or moving team work together to package and store your office equipment or retail inventory, this can slow down production. It’s fair to assume that you’ll be running your business simultaneously during the business relocation.
If so, your employee’s time is better spent improving your customers’ experiences vs. boxing up items.
No matter the size or location of the move, trust AAA Movers to get you there on time and on budget. We offer a wide range of commercial moving services to help you plan and execute your move with precision, including:
The best part is once you contact us for a free quote, a member of our team will reach out to you for the details. We’ll provide the solutions you need to make your business relocation a success, from start to finish.
And because you can count on us to do all the heavy lifting and work out the time-consuming details, you have more time to focus on your employees’ and customers’ needs.
Can My LLC Operate in Another State?
Yes, as long as you take the proper steps. First, register your LLC in your new state. Then, dissolve your corporation in your current state or apply for a foreign qualification in your new home state. Which one you choose depends on your business structure, and how you plan to operate in the future (i.e., will you be operating out of both states?)
Have You Considered a Staggered Move?
Some business owners benefit from a staggered move, keeping the business going in one state while setting up in another. This approach can take the pressure off an overly ambitious timeline. Our AAA Movers are happy to provide you with a staggered move that fits into your calendar and aligns with your capabilities.
As you look through various commercial moving companies, don’t forget about AAA Movers. We’re known for our customer service, attention to detail, and moving expertise. We can even move you after business hours or over the weekend to minimize disruption to your routine.
Move Your Business to Another City With Ease
If you’ve never worked with AAA Movers before, we hope our long list of satisfied customers helps demonstrate our capabilities, experience, and commitment to quality service. Whether you’re moving a whole facility or a single workplace, we can make it easy for you, including commercial moving capabilities and employee relocation services.
To get started with your move, request a free quote.