The 10 Best Twin Cities Suburbs for Families
Twin Cities suburbs offer countless choices for putting down roots and raising a family. These towns are full of top-notch schools, expansive park systems, and safe communities to nurture kids of all ages.
No matter where you want to land, you’ll find an excellent option for your family to call home.
Best Northern Twin Cities Suburbs
- Rogers: This growing city in the far northwest corner of the Twin Cities is anything but remote. It’s one of the best suburbs of Minneapolis for its easy access to greater Minnesota, plus 454 acres of parkland, two community gardens, and more.
- Shoreview: A popular St. Paul suburb, Shoreview has a state-of-the-art community center where kids can enjoy an indoor waterwork, pool, and playground year round. Numerous lakes and regional parks are the perfect places for summertime family fun.
Top Eastern Twin Cities Suburbs
- Dellwood: This historic city with just over 1,000 residents is a charming place to raise a family. The semi-rural community provides plenty of open space for kids to be kids. There’s extra fun at the 300-acre Pine Tree Apple Orchard or nearby White Bear Lake.
- Woodbury: If there’s a community amenity to enjoy, a store to frequent, or a youth sport to play, this small town is bound to have it. More than 71,000 residents choose Woodbury for its theaters, nature preserves, and youth leagues.
Family-Friendly Southern Twin Cities Suburbs
- Bloomington: Bloomington is home to the infamous Mall of America, full of year-round family fun. You can also enjoy a family ski day at Hyland Lake Park Reserve or visit Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge. Many consider Bloomington to be Minnesota’s cultural capital.
- Eden Prairie: One of the best suburbs of Minneapolis is – incidentally – one of the most family-friendly. Eden Prairie boasts low crime, quick commutes, a robust school system, and more than 120 miles of trails. The local library has year-round programming for readers of all ages.
- Lakeville: This growing Twin Cities suburb is a desirable choice for young families. Soak up the sunshine at one of the many lakes or take a class at the Lakeville Area Arts Center. Grab an ice cream cone at the walk-up Dairy Delite stand when you’re downtown.
Great Western Twin Cities Suburbs
- Chanhassen: The long-time home of Prince is also one of the safest Twin Cities suburbs to raise a family. Enjoy lots of family-focused activities like ice skating in the winter, a Saturday farmer’s market in the summer, or a show at the Chanhassen Dinner Theatre!
- Orono: Drawn to the Minnesota lakes but don’t want to live Up North? The “Lakeshore City” is a beautiful place to raise your family. On the western side of the Twin Cities, Orono has a low crime rate, high-ranking schools, and access to exhibits and events at the nearby Minnetonka Art Center.
- Plymouth: Plymouth is known for its proximity to just about everything. With an average commute of just 22 minutes, you’ll have plenty of time to bring the kids boating on Medicine Lake or check out the youth golf center at Eagle Lake Regional Park.
We’re proud to be your Minnesota movers.
No matter where you want to go, AAA Movers serves the family-friendly cities across the great state of Minnesota. Our printable moving checklist helps you get organized.
View our comprehensive list of service areas to find the spot for you, and then book our Minnesota movers. As we like to say, you may not move every day, but we do!